Saturday, July 01, 2006

Eat your weeds?

Yes, that's right. My friend Edda West, who is one of eight gardeners featured in our Slocan gardening book (written by Katherine Gordon) eats chickweed, pigweed and a variety of other weeds from her garden. When I visit Edda and her glorious garden (which was the impetus for me wanting to create the Slocan gardening book), I munch my way through our visit. Both weeds are delicious and highly nutritious. Chickweed contains vitamins A and C, some B vitamins, calcium, phosphorus, potassium, and zinc. Pigweed (Lamb’s quarters) a close relative of spinach, is richer in vitamin C than spinach, much richer in vitamin A, and a great source of iron, potassium and calcium. We hope the gardening book will be ready for publication next spring.

2 Comments:

At 4:48 PM, Blogger Nikki said...

This may sound like a silly request, but could you post a photo of those edible weeds? I have a backyard currently resembling a jungle and I'm thinking I could cut my grocery bill in half if I started eating the weeds. However, to me they just look like a mass of green that I didn't plant so it would be helpful to identify potential quiche or salad ingredients...

 
At 6:17 PM, Blogger Diane said...

As usual, great idea, Nikki. I'll try to find some samples in the garden that I can photograph when the sun isn't too strong and the mosquitos somewhat tolerable!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home